A landmark move for gaming enthusiasts
Today The International Olympic Committee may have broken the internet by announcing the first ever Olympic Virtual Series.
We suggest reading the full press release here, but to briefly sum the announcement up, the Olympic-licensed event will host five key events over one and half weeks from May 13 to May 23.
The following International Federations amd gaming publishers have been chosen to be a part of the Series.
- World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC) – eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020, Konami Digital Entertainment
- Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) – Zwift, Zwift inc.
- World Rowing - Open format
- World Sailing - Virtual Regatta, Virtual Regatta SAS
- Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) - Gran Turismo, Polyphony Digital
So it looks like events will include Baseball, Cycling, Rowing, Sailing and Motorsports (courtesy of Gran Turismo)
IOC President Thomas Bach said: “The Olympic Virtual Series is a new, unique Olympic digital experience that aims to grow direct engagement with new audiences in the field of virtual sports. Its conception is in line with Olympic Agenda 2020+5 and the IOC’s Digital Strategy. It encourages sports participation and promotes the Olympic values, with a special focus on youth.”
"All five OVS events will differ in form and concept, and will operate via the sport’s respective publisher platform where participants will be able to take part. Fans will have the opportunity to engage and follow the events on the Olympic Channel" via the press release.